Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Bad Behavior WordPress Plugin May Decrease your Blog Traffic

Are you using Bad Behavior WordPress plugin to avoid spam comment submission on your blog? If yes, then you might be doing wrong which may result in less traffic on your blog.

Bad Behavior Plugin is a good plugin for wordpress to detect bad users automatically through their IP address and they will automatically get 403 error and blog will be protected from illegal & spam comments.

Now My Question is : What is more important for you Traffic or concern related to spam comments?

What happened actually is, 2 weeks ago, one of my reader told me that he is getting 403 error while opening my blog and sent a screenshot of that error as shown below.


As that time, I thought I might have reported one of his comment as spam and this error message to due to that action. I never stressed on this issue after that.

Today I went to a cyber cafe for some reason and tried to open my blog and I was shocked to see the same error. Then I decided to find out the reason behind this error.


As shown in the above screenshot, it is written that if a visitor have got such error then he can solve that problem by visiting fix the problem yourself link. When I clicked on that link then I got redirected to a new page and there was complete description for this error and was mentioned that Bad Behavior Plugin is behind this error and they have given a link to the IP address to see the activity as shown below.



When I clicked on IP Address link to get the details then I found that some one is sending illegal comments or engaged in such activity through this IP Address. According to Honey Pot Project, this IP address is involved in such activity from last many months but the cyber cafe where I visited today, was started recently.

It means the IP address is dynamically used by some software or any source for illegal activities that is resulting error page. If this is the case, then this error might be showing to similar other computers and at the end I am missing many readers who are coming from organic results from different IP address.

Since I was getting the 403 error for my blog, I was unable to login from that cyber cafe. So, I came back to my place and immediately disabled Bad Behavior Plugin. For me traffic is more important than comments because If I will get traffic then only my readers can leave their valuable comments and since my comments are moderated so I am not worried about spam comment because they will be deleted by me.

Now, If you are using Bad Behavior Plugin in your wordpress blog then what action you will take to solve this 403 error pages? Will you still use this plugin or you will remove it? Share your opinion.



Source: http://www.blogdefined.com/2011/03/bad-behavior-wordpress-plugin-problem/#ixzz1HvT0eBNb

No comments:

Post a Comment